Goulburn Bioenergy Project
ReNu Energy undertook a project to convert abattoir waste into biogas via anaerobic digestion. The anaerobic digester captured biogas from the breakdown of effluent and organic waste from the Southern Meats abattoir. The biogas was then fed into biogas generators and used to provide power to the abattoir.
GPA was engaged to provide owner’s engineering and design services, including:
- Owners engineer review of digester, bio scrubber and generator packages
- ASP3 regulated electrical connection point design
- Process design of all interconnecting pipework and facilities
- Specification of biogas blowers, sludge pump, biogas cooler, chiller, process plant controls and instrumentation
- Safety in Design reviews and risk management including control of static ignition risks and hazardous area classification
- Lifecycle assessment to fulfil the ARENA funding requirements
The project achieved significant energy savings and environmental benefits, with the capacity to displace 75% of peak load and the ability to draw mains gas to further meet peak loads.